Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Book Reviews

While most normal people have new year's resolutions as working out and losing weight, I joined an online book club. I have to defend myself and say it was my cousin's wife's idea, but a great idea none the less. Call me whatever you want, but I love to read. It's relaxing and I love getting caught up in a world other than my own.

The way our book club works is really simple; you have a month to read a book and then post your opinion to the questions listed by the person that suggested the book. Each person in the group has a chance to choose a book, so we have the chance to read all types of genres. (If you are interested in joining, shoot me an email!)

First up was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. The Help takes place in Jackson, Mississippi during the 1960's. The unique thing about this book, is that it is told from three points of views, Aibileen, Minny and Miss Skeeter. Aibileen and Minny both being African-American maids for upper class white families, while Miss Skeeter is a single white woman trying to overcome the expectations of growing up in the south. The Help is a must read for women of all ages because it really helps you understand what it was like for those living in the south during segregation, not only African-Americans, but whites as well. Run to your nearest library or order on amazon!


With The Help being such a great book to start with, I continued to the next book, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, before January was over. For those who haven't heard, this book has been turned into a screenplay to be released in theaters this April (with Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson staring as Marlena and Jacob, respectively). I generally refuse to read books before I see the movie, as the books are always better, but this time I could not wait. I had heard so many good things about Water for Elephants, and can honestly say they were all true. Now, you might think, "How could a book about a circus be interesting?" Honestly, I thought the same thing, but you'll be happily surprised!


You can't resist that face!
The current book on my list was The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. I was actually given this book by my aunt a year ago, but thought it sounded a bit dumb, especially because of my distaste in Nascar (no offense to those that like this sport!). The main character, Enzo, is actually a dog with human-like emotions. It is a pleasant surprise to read about his life, from his owner's marriage, career, and even arrests. This book has so many twists that it will have you itching to read as fast as possible (I read this 300 page book in two days!).


My book for April is going to be Room written by Emma Donoghue. I tried reading this book a few months ago, but I have to admit after a few pages I wasn't a fan. Here's to hoping it changes my mind!

Are you looking for a new book to read? Try this awesome search engine, What Should I Read Next, I found using StumbleUpon. This search engine works by typing in the book you just finished, or your favorite book, and gives you similar alternatives!

"Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave."
-Winnie the Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment