Wednesday, March 23, 2011

DIY? Don't mind if I do!

While stumbling through some craft website a few weeks ago, I found Craftgawker. I'm not sure if it's the idea of saving money or the thrill of making something on my own, I enjoy crafting none the less. This website has virtually thousands of craft ideas for all levels of expertise.

This first project I thought would be a great idea to get my roommates and I through the rest of senior year. Not only are we starting to feel the pressure, but also feeling a bit nostalgic.To get us out of this rut, I cut up strips of 5x7 scrapbook paper (the website recommends 12x12 so your stars are larger) and wrote inspirational quotes on them. Follow the directions on the video (click!), to create the origami star. I made about 50 stars and put them in this jar for us to enjoy!

Before
After!










Next I put together a jewelry organizer after finding that I rarely wear my jewelry... and my jewelry box was falling apart! I followed the basic idea from Momtastic's Framed Organizer, but made a few budget friendly changes. At the local Michael's craft store, I purchased the black frame for $4.99, the blue plastic canvas for $0.70 and white pipe cleaners for $0.99 (I also bought white paint to antique the look of the frame, but stupidly forgot a paintbrush).

You'll notice a lot of my bracelets are homemade too :)
I'm so happy how my projects turned out, and so is my wallet! If I were to have purchased a concept of these ideas elsewhere, it could have cost up to $30. While DIY projects do take some time, you will appreciate it much more than if you bought it. Good luck crafting!


 "The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before."
- Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment