Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sweet baby, Jiffy!

Jiffy Baking Mix, how I love thee!
Ask any of my friends, I used to spend hours in the kitchen baking anything and everything. But within the past year or two, I've been seriously slacking. This current baking binge has been inspired by a box of Jiffy Baking Mix (about $2 at Walmart!). I use this Jiffy mix for pretty much everything; pancakes, cookies, cinnamon buns, and now... banana bread!

For some reason I always buy bananas when I go grocery shopping, and I honestly hate the taste. I try to put them in smoothies (Yoplait frozen chocolate whips, a tablespoon of peanut butter, half a cup of milk, and some ice) for the extra nutritional value, but I slack... a lot. 

Anyway, my last banana was starting to "over ripen" so it was time to either toss it or use it. Being the saver that I am, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to make the banana bread recipe I noticed the other morning (I was making cinnamon buns, YUM!). I have never seen such a simple recipe: 

Slice #2
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 cup shortening (I substituted with butter)
  • 2 eggs (I substituted with egg beaters)
  • 1 cup very ripe banana, mashed
  • 1/3 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
Preheat oven 350. Grease 9"x5" pan. Cream sugar and shortening. Add remaining ingredients. Mix until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 55 min.

I wish I could capture smells so you can believe me when I say this was the most amazing thing I've ever smelled, seen, tasted, etc. I seriously urge you to make this low budget snack, your stomach will love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment