Thursday, July 14, 2011

Guilty Pleasures and Embarrassing Truths

We all have what we consider those "guilty pleasures", whether it has something to do with food, music, entertainment, etc. Many of my "quilty pleasures" have led me to realize that I have "embarrassing truths" along with it, specifically emotions.

This blog topic came to me a few days ago when the song, No One Mourns the Wicked, came on my iPod on my way home from work. The song actually gave me chills, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Now, it's not like this was the first time I've heard the song. I've seen Wicked twice (once on Broadway, once at the Bob Carr Theatre), and listen to it multiple times a week, this was just the first time I've ever noticed. Because of this one emotion, I began to think of other "guilty pleasures" that stir up emotions.

  • Disney! I wholeheartedly love this company, simple as that. I don't care how cheesy it is, the parks, movies, songs, resorts, etc. Driving through the property gates gets me giddy, and the commercials make me cry. My only excuse is that these all stir up my experiences during my College Program and I the fun I had and friends I made.
Is that a tear I see?
  •  Wicked (and other Broadway shows) music. I love New York City, I love the music, and it is a fun reminder of my 21st birthday!
Wicked at the Gershwin Theater
  •  GLEE! I know everyone's getting on the Glee bandwagon, as I am a recent Gleek. All of the song choices are perfect, and in my opinion, the Glee Cast usually sings them better too! (i.e. Rebecca Black's Friday.. let's be real, that song sucks when sung by her) When singing karaoke, my friend, Amanda, even says, "Just pretend you're on Glee!"
  • XM radio. When I purchased my car last month, I got a trial of XM Satellite radio and I love it! I don't know how people go through their day without it, especially the channel, 90's on 9. I didn't know I was such a fan of the 90's til now. 
Hellooo throwback!

  • "With a Little Help from my Friends" by Joe Cocker. This song completely chokes me up and I really don't know why. I watched The Wonder Years when I was younger with my dad, but when I heard it sung on The Voice by Adam Levine, whooaa baby!
  •  Twitter. Facebook is ok, I have no clue how to use Google+, therefore Twitter wins! Plus it's fun to creep on celebrities! (follow me at lalalexa07)
  • ABC Family shows. It's no surprise that I'm glued to the TV Monday and Tuesday nights for Secret Life, Switched at Birth and Pretty Little Liars. I swear I'm really older than 16, but I guess you wouldn't know that by my choice in mindless entertainment.
  • Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant. My college roommates and I began watching this show when the original Teen Moms were on 16 and Pregnant. Yes, the show may encourage and glamorize pregnancy to young teens, but I know better than that! As my roommate used to say, "22 and NOT pregnant!"

No comments:

Post a Comment